Tuesday, May 28, 2013

DIY: Chevron Bookcase

Hey guys we're back with one of our first DIY's in awhile and it's super easy and cute! I bought this simple bookcase with every intention of decorating it but kept putting it to the bottom of my list but now after a year of sitting in my kitchen I finally took some action! Here's what I used and did!


Supplies:
Black bookcase (I got from Goodwill for $10)
Paintbrushes
White paint (I used a flat paint because I wanted that kind of result but shiny is also fine)
Stencil (made it out of cardboard)
Painter's tape (I didn't use any but if you have a less steady hand they could be helpful in painting inside the lines)


Step One:
I made my stencil out of cardboard by tracing it and cutting it out with an Xacto knife. If you're using painter's tape now would be the time to lay your tape down on the parts you want unpainted. 

Step Two:
Now we paint! I painted about three layers on each stripe, waiting for each layer to dry before putting on the next layer. Luckily I was outside, in the sun, so it took little to no time for everything to dry. After everything dried I took a smaller paint brush to smooth our some of my broader paint strokes.



Step Three:
All that is left is to add whatever you want to go on the shelves. As I mentioned this goes in my kitchen. I store my cookbooks, coffee and homebrewed cider in it but obviously you can put whatever you want in it!

I was extremely pleased with my results. Although I added white to the bookshelf it was the pop of color it needed! I will admit the idea struck me after helping Miss Mel decorate for her birthday party earlier this month! (I'm such a thief! hehe) What kind of bookcase upcycling have you guys done? We'd love to know!

-Miss Mel and Miss Heather

No comments: