Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Miss Heather's Halloween Costume!

Miss Mel and I have always been a fan of making our own costumes, rather than buying a pre-made one, when it comes to Halloween. It takes all the creativity out of it! This year Miss Mel is being a lady Iron Man and I am being Sally the rag doll from The Nightmare Before Christmas (one of my all time favorite movies!!). Here's how I made my costume!

Supplies:
Black dress
Fabric scraps of different colors
Black Sharpie
Fabric glue
Black yarn
Thick needle
Scissors
Fishnet tights
Thick white socks *optional*
Brown ankle boots *optional*

Step One:
I bought plain fabric and drew the designs onto my fabric with a thick point Sharpie.

Step Two:
I had a picture of Sally to loosely follow when cutting the fabric for the costume.
So I cut the fabric to look very similar to the picture and made up my own pattern for the back.

Step Three:
I glued the patches of fabric onto the black dress.

Step Four:
With the thick needle, I ran the black yarn along all fabric edges to give it a loose stitch work appearance.

Step Five:
Since I had some extra fabric left over, I sewed it up and used it for a headband!
*headbands are the BEST when dancing around and wanting your hair to be out of your face!*

Step Six:
Once I put the fishnet tights on my body, I ran yarn through the holes to give the "stitched look" on my legs. To add to the rag doll experience, I also ripped some of the netting.

Step Seven:
I found a black body pencil and drew the stitches all over my arms, chest and face. With eyeliner, I drew large circles around my eyes and put a thick amount of mascara on.
To quote Miss Mel, "you need to look dead!"

We had so much fun making our costumes! We're already brainstorming what we're going to be next year! What are/were you guys? We'd love to see!

-Miss Mel and Miss Heather

No comments: