Wednesday, January 18, 2012

"Nobody puts Baby in a corner."

The dancing. The music. The outfits. The romance.

Why, of course, I'm talking about one of our favorite movies, "Dirty Dancing"!

"I'm scared of walking out of this room and never feeling the rest of my whole life the way I feel when I with you." 
  
Set in the summer of 1963, 18-year-old Frances "Baby" Houseman (Jennifer Grey) vacations with her family to Kellermans, a family-orientated resort in the Catskill Mountains. Baby finds herself developing a crush on the bad-boy, dance instructor, Johnny Castle (Patrick Swayze). They end up in a whirl-wind romance filled with drama (an abortion crisis, having to learn an entire dance routine in a matter of a few days, keeping their relationship a secret...just to name a few) and, of course, lots and lots of "dirty dancing".

Here's a clip from one of my favorite scenes in the movie: "Love Man".


Now, I know they are remaking "Dirty Dancing" and I'll admit that I'll probably see it but NOTHING will compare to the original. It's just not possible.

However, another movie comes close, "Dirty Dancing:Havana Nights". Miss Heather and I have probably watched this movie a 100 times, mostly for Diego Luna but we won't go there. 

"Where's the revolution tonight? On the dance floor?"

"Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights," essentially has exactly the same plot as "Dirty Dancing" except for the fact that it takes place in Havana, Cuba before the Cuban Revolution. The dancing is spicier in this film (ahem, it's in Havana) and it definitely has the same "forbidden romance" feel as "Dirty Dancing" does. Patrick Swayze even makes an appearance! So, if you are a fan of "Dirty Dancing", I say you can't go wrong with giving "Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights" a try.

Here's a clip from one of my favorite scenes in the movie: "Do you only wanna dance?"

"Now I've had the time of my life
No I never felt like this before
Yes I swear it's the truth
and I owe it all to you!"

-Miss Mel and Miss Heather

No comments: